To fulfill our mission, the Diversity Education area:
- Supports the university’s core value of respect by providing diversity and inclusion training to develop student understanding of other cultures regarding intersecting identities of race, religious faith, nationality, sex, class, gender, sexual orientation, and other social identities
- Maintains a space, provides programming, and dedicates staff and financial resources to building an inclusive community for multicultural and diversity education initiatives
The staff in this area focus on positively impacting the Texas A&M campus climate for students by:
- facilitating the exploration of individual differences in safe, positive, welcoming, and nurturing ways
- creating opportunities for students and student groups to learn about and from one another
- assisting students in identifying and processing how they can contribute to an inclusive and respectful campus
- developing students’ cultural knowledge
- preparing students to live in an increasingly global and complex world
- building cross-cultural communication skills.
Methods include programs, workshops, presentations and training.